Bad breath is one of the most socially limiting and embarrassing conditions. The good news is that there are many simple ways for curing bad breath. We all have suffered from halitosis at times and everyone would benefit by knowing how to cure bad breath.
In order to find out how to cure your bad breath, you will need to know what is causing it in the first place. The causes for bad breath fall into several categories:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Habits such as smoking
- Underlying diseases
You must keep the underlying causes in mind when deciding on a bad breath cure.
The Simplest and Most Effective Bad Breath Cure is Oral Hygiene.
Poor oral hygiene is the most common cause of bad breath. Practice good oral hygiene by:
- flossing daily to remove food particles between the teeth
- brushing your teeth twice a day and after eating, with a fluoride toothpaste
- rinsing you mouth well with water after eating if you cannot brush
- replacing your toothbrush every three months
- cleaning your tongue when you brush your teeth. Many bacteria causing bad breath coat your tongue.
- If you have dentures, remove them at night and wash them well before replacing them in the morning
What You Eat Can Both Cause and Cure Bad Breath
Garlic and onions in particular tend to cling to your breath. The best way to cure bad breath caused by eating, is to chew on some parsley or sugarless mint gum after eating foods like garlic. The smell of the garlic will go away completely once it has been digested. Think what you eat before mixing with people.
Diet related bad breath cures:
- drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration
- eat plain yoghurt with active bacteria every morning. The active bacteria eliminate the bacteria that cause bad breath.
- chew parsley, celery or carrot sticks as snacks
- avoid alcohol and excessive caffeine. They both dry the mouth.
Curing Bad Breath by Treating Any Underlying Medical Conditions
Infections of the mouth, throat and sinuses, diabetes, xerostomia or dry mouth, pneumonia, and kidney or liver problems all can be the cause of bad breath. If the cause of your bad breath is not poor hygiene, you should go for a check to your Doctor to eliminate or treat any underlying causes.
How to cure bad breath in the morning
When you wake in the morning, your mouth is dry as your saliva production slows down during sleep. The best cure for bad breath in the morning is simply to eat and drink something. It will get your saliva flowing and the bad breath will disappear. Do not skip breakfast.
Other bad Breath Cures
- Stop smoking
- See your dentist regularly every six months, so any dental problems can be corrected early
What about mouthwashes as a bad breath cure?
Mouthwashes are readily available, and temporarily mask bad breath. Avoid mouthwashes containing alcohol as they will dry your mouth out. Your Dentist will advise you if you need an antiseptic mouthwash.
There are plenty of ways of curing bad breath. Most bad breath cures center round hygiene and diet. If you follow these tips and visit your Dentist regularly, you should not suffer the embarrassment of bad breath.